Wednesday 11 October 2017

Still Here


'Still Here' was written in 1980 and recorded in 2017.


When we were young we always laughed
At the old and the slow and the spastic,
At the shell-shocked and the calipered
And the defectively fantastic.

Fat, speccy four-eyes, legless age
Baby girl with the fire-scarred face,
Anything that was different
We would gleefully debase.

Nancy boy with painted nails,
Pretty little moron in pigtails,
Old Mother Hubbard in cast-off clothing,
The couldn't-fight-back or run as fast,
Any and every last outcast
Deserved our corporate loathing.

But now that I, myself, am old
And slow and short of breath,
I, wearily, am forced to reap
An ironic aftermath.

Ever the butt of knife-bright boys,
Thrusting full of martial noise,
I keep my old eyes open
Ever watchful for my death...

No comments:

Post a Comment